Am I an International Student?
An international student is an applicant who does not hold United States citizenship or lawful permanent residency. Saint Leo welcomes a significant number of students from around the world. In fact, international students comprise 13% of our University Campus undergraduate community.
Admission to Saint Leo University is a simple, straightforward process. Applicants should submit the following materials to the Office of Admissions.
Apply online, or download, complete and return the Application Form. The Common Application is also accepted and may be completed online .
- Official High School Transcript
High school transcripts must be sent directly from the school. The transcript must be in the original language, accompanied by an official English translation. International college/university transcripts must be evaluated by one of the NACES Evaluation Agencies. A list of these agencies can be found here.
- Letter of Recommendation
The recommendation must be sent to the Office of Admissions directly from a high school teacher, headmaster or school counselor. Download High School Recommendation Form. Transfer students: Download a Transfer Student Recommendation Form.
- Standardized Test Scores/Test-Optional Policy*
Standardized test scores from either the SAT or ACT are highly recommended but are not required. The results of these tests will be used in determining scholarship eligibility. If you would like your test scores to be reviewed, request that your SAT (Code 5638) or ACT (Code 0755) score be sent to Saint Leo prior to the application deadline.*For complete details regarding our test-optional policy, click here.
- Proof of English Language Proficiency
All international candidates for admission must prove English language proficiency with at least one of the following:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or comparable instrument. Minimum TOEFL score is 550 paper-based, 78 internet-based
- A minimum of 6.0 on the International English Language Testing system (IELTS)
- A minimum of a 450 on the verbal component of the SAT
- Grades of B or higher in English composition courses where English is the institutional language of instruction
- Successful completion of a NAFSA-recognized ESL program
- Students who do not meet these requirements may still be eligible for admission to Saint Leo University through our Bridge Program.
International Transfer Students
Learn more about additional admission requirements and transferring international credit.
Send all documents to:
Office of Admissions, MC2008
PO Box 6665
Saint Leo, FL 33574
Fax: (352) 588-8257
Applications are evaluated on a rolling basis. International application deadline for Spring enrollment is October 1. International application deadline for Fall enrollment is June 1.
International students require a Form I-20 and F-1 student visa to enter and study in the United States. To receive your Form I-20, complete the following steps:
- Submit $500 enrollment deposit
- Provide a color copy of your passport.
- Submit your completed and signed Certificate of Finances form.
- Send supporting financial documentation. All students are required to demonstrate the financial ability to pay for at least one year of academic and living expenses before being issued an immigration document by Saint Leo University. All supporting financial documents must be in English or accompanied by a notarized English translation showing available liquid funds. The financial documents cannot be older than six months at the time of submission to Saint Leo University in order to be considered valid. These financial documents include, but are not limited to, bank statements and letters, government or organization scholarships. These items can be sent electronically, through postal mail or faxed. Once your documents have been received, Saint Leo University will issue the Form I-20. This will be mailed to the mailing address listed on your Certificate of Finances form.
- Students are strongly encouraged to visit the campus. Interviews are not required, but a visit enables the candidate to talk with an admissions counselor, tour the campus, visit classes, and meet faculty and students. Schedule your visit today.
Financing Your Saint Leo Education
Generally, international students must show evidence of ability to pay all direct and indirect costs of attendance. Indirect costs include expenses not covered by tuition, room/board and fee charges.
Institutional financial aid for international students is limited. Academic scholarships are available to international students on the basis of academic qualifications and will be determined at the time the student’s application for admission is reviewed. For additional information on funding and loan information, click here.